Friday, February 17, 2012

Minja's first doctor's visit

I have decided, after much consideration, to censor portions of what actually happened.  If you are actually pregnant and want a rundown of what to expect at the first OB/midwife visit, hit me up in person or through a private message and I'll fill you in on the censored bits.  I'm not shy about it, I'm just not sure the entire internet wants to know these things.

First, there were lots of questions.  They actually asked more than I did, which made me feel much better about my page-long list I brought.  Most of them were things I'd researched already, but wanted the facility's perspective.  The biggest question I had actually had to do with raw milk, since we had recently been given some and I was hoping for a nice latte.  She said that, to kill the bacteria that causes listeriosis, I at least needed to get the milk steaming.  A steaming latte?  I can handle that.  No raw fish sushi for 9 months?  That one will be more difficult.

So, they took basic things like ear temp, height, weight, medical history, blood pressure, heart rate, lung temp, 4 vials of blood, and various other stuff.  Basically, it was a long physical.  And the minja passed with flying colors!  No diseases, no goofy issues, good development, all that.

But the cool part was definitely the ultrasound.  They had screens so I could see what was going on and so could David.  The tech was definitely 1 cup of coffee short of an aneurysm--he was very excited about his job, the technology, and getting to introduce us to our new little one!  With no difficulty at all, he located the baby.  One thing I wasn't expecting...he zoomed in and showed us the little heart fluttering away in our bean-sized baby.  Then he turned up the doppler and there it was...the heartbeat, powerful and poignant, throbbing away as if to say, "I'm not just a part of you, though I am in you.  I am my own person.  I have my own DNA, my own heart, and it doesn't beat in sync with yours."  The feeling was overwhelming.

So, the date is set for October 2nd.  David and I did the math, and that makes this an anniversary baby.  Interestingly, two years to the day, the two becoming one flesh created a new flesh as an expression of that love.  This means that I was 7 weeks to the day when I had the appointment on Monday.  This means that the minja is 5 weeks old.

In other news: no crazy outbursts to report yet!  Only mild nausea, an aversion to strong smells and foods that have strong smells.  Oh, and gassyness.  Think "you just ate Mexican food" but it's like that all the time.  Wake up...eating...not eating...it's all the same.

So far, so good!  Let's see what week 8 has in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment